Network is collection of computers and computing devices interlinked each other to make a communication.
- Resource sharing: A computer programs, data, and equipment are available to anyone on the network. Anyone can use the resource available on network.
- Availability: Information is available all the times.
- Reliability: A network may have alternative sources of In case of one resource failure, the others could be used and the system continues to operate at reduced performance.
- Scalability: The ability to increase system performance gradually by adding more Processors.
- Cost: Network Sharing is very cost
Twisted pair cable. – It consists of two insulated copper wires, typically about 1mm thick. It is generally used in local telephone communication. It is also used for digital data communication over the short distance upto 1 km. unshielded twisted pairs are used to connect computing devices. Data transferred rates are usually 1-2 megabytes per second.
- It is easily
- Low cost
- Used for analog and digital data transmission
- Easily breakable
- Easily picks the noise
Co- axial cable: – it consists of a stiff copper wire as the core, surrounded by an insulating material. A mesh conductor encases the insulator. The plastic covers the outer mesh conductor. The signal is transmitted through the inner copper wire (copper core).
There are two type of co-axial cable:-
50 ohm and 75 ohm, 50 ohm is used for digital transmission for computer. And 75ohm is used for analog transmission for TV.
- It is used for digital and analog transmission
- It is used for longer distance
- Higher data transfer rate (100 mbps)
- Difficult to connect to network device
- It required connector.
Fiber-optical cable: The fiber optic cable is a newest media that transmits light signals. It provides high transfer data rate 2 gigabyte per second. There are two source of light for optic fiber
LED– light Emitting diodes
LASER – Light Amplification by stimulating emission Radiation.
- Does not accept
- Data can not be tapped by data thief
- These cables are much lighter than the copper cables
- It is costly not available
- Difficult to
- Unidirectional – Propagation of light is unidirectional and we need two fibers for bidirectional